Tuesday, August 29, 2006

NEW JOB- and lots of work; memorizing menu descriptions, wines, service skills, dealing with about 18 additional steps in my normal table waiting and reminding myself to upsell without being pushy.

My last day at the Roast one of the newer servers worked the busiest, most stressful and hectic days you can work there: BRUNCH or Brunch Hell as I like to call it. Throughout the day she was tossed back and forth by customers, management and bussers. At the end of it all she counted up her money and found that she had only made $70. Somewhere along the way she had lost $80-$100. I remember having been in her shoes before years ago when I lost $100 at a night club I worked at- but I didn't know what to say- just that I was sorry- that things would get better and that yes it did suck. I reflected to myself that I was lucky that I no longer was reduced to tears from waiting on tables though I spent my first 3 months at the Roast crying everyday.

Flash forward not even a week and here I am at my new job; thats right, in tears, while two waiters comfort me, "it's a lot to learn, don't worry, it will get better- we were there too." I appreciate their support. And I realize that I can get pretty cocky sometimes. Nope. I haven't seen it all. I don't know all there is to know and there's a rough road ahead with a lot of things I won't expect. I gotta keep my chin up. I gotta keep going forward and I can't let it all get the better of me and I have to work hard and take what comes.

2 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Sober In the City said...

Hang in there hot stuff.. only a few more weeks of not knowing what you're doing, before you are the know-it-all.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger MtnOceanGirl said...

Forgive my naivete, but are you not getting paid minimum wage (so you get something even if no one shows up)? If not, it's a crime!!! My heart goes out to you. Take care, and if things don't get better soon, time to try a new profession, eh? Life is short, and you -- a talented, hard-working woman -- shouldn't have to scrape so much to pay the rent!!!

Sending you encouraging thoughts...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home